Dr Sarah Edelman, author of 'Change your thinking' has these top tips for cultivating optimism in business when times are tough:
TIPS FOR CULTIVATING OPTIMISM
1. Reframe your thinking so that whenever you face a challenge, ask yourself: 'How can I learn or grow from this experience, regardless of the outcome?'
2. Whenever you make a business decision, consider all the benefits of making the decision – include material, personal, social and community benefits. The more benefits the greater the motivation for stepping out of your comfort zone.
3. Be realistic about the obstacles, problems and challenges that you face along the way - if you try and pretend they are not there, you are setting yourself up for failure.
4. Stop worrying: it is a huge time-waster, it can eat up hours, days, months, even years. Put a plan in place for the worst-case scenarios and then put worry aside and focus on things you can control.
5. If you maintain a practice of optimism, your antennas will be raised for more optimism and you will be exposed to more opportunities.
6. If you are struggling to maintain optimism in your business and life in general, it may be useful to consult a counsellor or psychologist to help you develop a healthy positive mindset.